When Real Sociedad touched the final of the European Cup

When Real Sociedad touched the final of the European Cup
Real Sociedad stayed one step away from the European Cup final 1982-1983 (realsociedad.eus)

The season 1982-1983 it was historic for Real Sociedad. Set blue and white He lived a time of splendor as he had been proclaimed league champion two years in a row. This fact served to dispute the European Cup in which he touched the final.

In the first round the royalists prevailed over the Vikingur of Iceland for a global result of 4-2. It must be remembered that at that time qualifying rounds were played back and forth from the start of the competition. Satrustegui Y Uralde, both double, were the authors of the San Sebastian goals.

The next rival was more important: the historical Celtic de Glasgow. In Atocha, Real Sociedad achieved a good victory for 2-0, again with goals from Satrústegui Y Uralde. On lap, disputed in Scotland, the locals managed to win by 2-1. Another goal by Uralde was key to give the pass to the next round.

In the quarterfinals he had to travel to Portugal to face the Sporting CP. The Basques fell defeated by the minimum (1-0). It was time to go back in Atocha. The Royal Society, pushed by her audience, He won by 2-0 thanks to the targets of Larrañaga Y Jose Mari Bakero. The realists were in the semifinals.

That was when the Hamburg German crossed the road. In the first leg, played in San Sebastián on 6 April 1983, the result was 1-1. Rolf overtook the Germans in the minute 58 but the locals got the tables through pledged at 73.

With everything to decide he traveled Real Sociedad to german lands. Everything was against, in addition to an unfavorable result due to the double value of the goals scored in the opposite field, set blue and white it had notable losses: the Gajate and Kontabarria plants in addition to Zamora (team brain) and Satrústegui, the scorer.

Hamburg Royal Society
Horst Hrubesch y Arconada, captains of both teams, greet each other before the crash played in Hamburg (Sports world)

In spite of everything, the people of San Sebastian fought from one to the other against an opponent who was physically superior. At the break the scoreboard reflected the initial zero to zero. It was at that time that a detail was produced that could have been decisive soon after. One of the line judges was injured and had to be replaced.

In the second part all the goals came. In the minute 75, Jacobs overtook Hamburg but the Royal Society reacted very soon and tied with a goal of Diego Alvarez at 80. Then came the play that decided the crash. In a favorable corner for the locals, after several rejections, From Heesen marked the 2-1 what, eventually, would be final.

Although there is no clear take, it seems that the German player sent the ball to the back of the goal defended by Arconada in offside position. The substitute line judge did not see it that way and, thus, Real Sociedad was one step away from playing the final of the European Cup.

The only consolation left to that historic generation of footballers is that their rival, the Hamburg, ended up being the champion of that edition.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

error: Content is protected !!